Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A Different Kind of Sickness

A Different Kind of Sickness
Reflections on Chi Kong: A Peacebuilding Self-Transformation Exercise
By Jan Perry B. Eugenio

          I was preparing for my eight-hour travel in Cotabato City for the lecture on “The Person of the Peacebuilder” by Professor Bebot Rodil.  Prior to that, I had my share of pressures both in my personal life and my work, i.e. family affairs, unfinished projects, loads of cases, etc.  It was quite a baggage that I brought to Cotabato.

          The first day of the lecture was light.  It started with a fifteen-minute Chi-kong which is a slow yet intense series of movements of the body.  The short exercise loosened up my body.  The lectures then proceeded.  I learned that inner peace starts within one’s self.  I have to unload myself from my emotional baggage and thereafter create space.  Space creates inner peace. 

Then, I started with the “processing” of my own self.  It only required the awareness of my immediate environment and my physical body.  I was made conscious of the air that enters my nostrils and exits through my mouth.  I inhaled heavily, and exhaled all through out.  It was quite an experience. 

          On the second day, I replicated the processing.  This time I have to locate the pain inside my body.  I thought it was my back.  I had it at seven.  It took me another fifteen minutes for deep breathing.  The pain was down to four.  But still, it was there.

          The third day was significant.  I processed my fear of heights.  Again, deep and slow breathing.  I tried to transfer the pain from my back to my arms.  Then from my arms to my hands.  The pain was now at three.  I breathed heavily. 

Eventually, the three day lecture was done.  Yet, the pain was still there. 

          That afternoon, I traveled back to Cagayan de Oro via Sultan Naga Dimaporo.  The travel was long as I sat on a fully air-conditioned Pajero.  It was extremely cold for me.  I arrived at around in the evening in Cagayan de Oro City.  When I entered my room, I started to chill.  The cold was unbearable. 

That next day, I had a high fever.  It was my first fever in two years and probably the worst.  The pain was all over my back.  I had no appetite for any food and neither could I stand for more than a minute.  I slept the whole day.

          Surprisingly, the next morning my fever was down.  I had my appetite back.  I was beginning to regain my energy.  The pain on my back was gone.  All gone.  I felt good.  I asked myself why I had that fever when I never got rained nor approached anyone who had fever.  Then I realized I had my emotional baggage “processed” during the three day lecture.  The social pressures, frozen emotions and push buttons were “felt” and were instinctively unleashed. 

It was a different kind of sickness.  One that I have never felt before.  An ailment which I needed to experience in order to bring back my personal “self”.   The pain on my back which I have been carrying for quite some time, several years, was mysteriously removed.  My body was so light that I finally gained control over it.  It felt light.  Really light.

          The stress, anxiety and strain were removed from my body.  I was emptied.  There was space inside me. 

Finally, I felt inner peace.

         

No comments:

Post a Comment